Crisis Counseling for Alcohol and Other Drugs


How do you know it’s a crisis?

A crisis with alcohol or drugs may result from:

  • Too much alcohol ingested, which leads to alcohol poisoning—a medical emergency
  • A drug overdose, from either prescription drugs or other illegal substances
  • Unintended consequences of drinking alcohol or drug use, e.g. trouble with the law during usage or as a result of usage
  • A prolonged, repeated pattern of continuous use of alcohol or drugs
  • Despite signs and warnings from those who are concerned about you, you are unable to stop using alcohol or drugs
  • Daily consumption of alcohol or drug use
  • Not being able to stop drinking alcohol once you start or always drinking to get drunk

Signs of alcohol poisoning or drug overdose

Symptoms of alcohol poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Slurred speech
  • Cold, pale, or bluish skin
  • Poor coordination
  • Semi-conscious or unconscious
  • Slow breathing (more than 10 seconds between each breath)

Common Symptoms of drug overdose (other signs may be very specific to the type of drug used):

  • Problems with vital signs (temperature, pulse rate, respiratory rate, blood pressure)--can be increased, decreased, or completely absent
  • Confusion
  • Sleepiness
  • Skin either cold/sweaty or hot/dry
  • Chest pain
  • Abdominal pain
  • Nausea/vomiting
  • Seizures

What to do when alcohol poisoning or drug overdose is suspected

For immediate support, medical care, and after-hours emergencies:
If individuals are demonstrating signs of alcohol poisoning or drug overdose, students should call 911 or contact:

Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service (GERMS)
Village C West 206
(202) 687-4357

How do I respond?

  • Recognize that this is an emergency! Call GERMS at (202) 687-4357
  • If unconscious, turn person on his/her side to avoid choking on vomit
  • Do not put the person to bed to sleep it off
  • Stay with him or her.

Counseling and On-Campus Resources

A student can seek free, confidential help if they are worried about their usage of alcohol or other drugs. A concerned friend, member of the campus community, or family member can also contact University Resources to discuss ways to help a student who may be struggling. These services are free and confidential.

Dr. Patrick Kilcarr
Director, Center for Personal Development
1437 37th St NW, Poulton Hall Suite 101
(202) 687-8944

For Law Students only

DC Bar Lawyer Assistance Program
(202) 347-3131

Community Resources and Hotlines

Alcoholics Anonymous
Washington, DC: (202) 966-9115
Virginia: (703) 876-6166

Washington, DC and Maryland: (202) 882-1334
Virginia: (703) 764-0476

DC Metro Substance Abuse Hotline
(888) 294-3572

Narcotics Anonymous
(202) 399-5316 or (800) 543-4670

Medical Leave of Absence Regarding Alcohol or Drug Evaluation and Treatment

Coping with the impact of drug or alcohol use may require evaluation and treatment that impact a student’s academic progression. Under these circumstances, a student may wish to pursue a voluntary Medical Leave of Absence.