What to Do in an Emergency
During Business Hours: CAPS staff are available to students who are in crisis on a same-day basis. Call us at (202) 687-6985 and let our receptionist know that you are in crisis and need to speak with a clinician.
After-Hours CAPS: Please call the CAPS main office number, (202) 687-6985, on which a menu of options can direct you to our emergency consultation line.
If you are experiencing an immediate life-threatening emergency, call 911 or go to your local emergency room.
How do I know if it’s an emergency?
Immediate intervention (calling for help) is needed if you believe you or another student is in a:
- life-threatening situation,
- out of control,
- physically unsafe
- or in danger.
Additional Emergency Services:
The following are options available to you for contact and help:
- Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Services (GERMS) at 202-687-4357. GERMS should be called whenever a person in the Georgetown community is sick, hurt, or scared about the health or well-being of another person. If necessary, GERMS will escort the student to the nearest hospital emergency room.
- Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD) at 202-687-4343. For the Sexual Assault Response Team, ask to be connected to the Sexual Assault Officer.
- If in the DC Metro area, off-campus please call Metropolitan Police Department (Metro PD) at 911.
- If not in the DC metro area, please contact your local authorities by calling 911 or go to your local emergency room.