Georgetown University is interested in supporting the success of its students and the safety and welfare of the community. Students should consider requesting a medical leave of absence (MLOA) for situations that significantly limit their ability to function successfully or safely in their role as students. The mental health situations below are examples of some reasons why a student might request a leave of absence:
- mental health conditions such as bipolar disorder and eating disorders
- alcohol or drug evaluation and treatment
Students should visit Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) to receive more advice about a medical leave of absence for a mental health condition. For specifics regarding a MLOA for mental health conditions, follow the procedures outlined below.
- How Does a Medical Leave of Absence Work?
- Brief Overview of Medical Leave of Absence Process
- Release of Information Form
- Instructions for Completing Authorization For Release of Information Form
- Advantages of a Medical Leave of Absence
- Community Provider Report Form
- Finding a Provider