Emotional Support Animals

CAPS does not provide letters for emotional support animals (ESA). We generally recommend that you inquire further with your primary care provider or a mental health professional outside of CAPS for this request. Licensed healthcare professionals may assess and provide ESA letters. These professionals include, psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers, counselors, physicians, and physician’s assistants. If you have an existing relationship with a medical or mental health professional, we always recommend discussing your interest in an ESA with them first. CAPS recommends that you avoid the online letter generators, as the quality of those letters are questionable.